Avoiding a fine: How can I prove my essential work travel?

This article was updated on 5th August 2020. Due to current developments, WorkPlacePLUS will no longer be providing our Confirmation of Employment Letter Template to anyone inquiring from Victoria. The information below contains current links to the Victorian Government's official Permitted Worker Scheme Template.

Victoria Police have dramatically increased their presence in and around metropolitan Melbourne, Mitchell Shire, and regional Victoria to ensure Victorians are following the most recent directions of the Chief Health Officer. Booze buses have been deployed to road stops and checkpoints to monitor traffic flow, and police are using Automatic Number Plate Recognition to scan registration details and identify the residential addresses of licence holders. Victoria Police also have vehicle checkpoints across the state – including the main arterials to regional Victoria.

From 11:59pm on Wednesday 5th August, VIC employers that require their staff to attend a work site must issue a worker permit to their employees – this is the employer’s responsibility.
The Victorian Government has now issued its official Permitted Worker Scheme Template. This is now the only template that employers in Victorian should be using.

Penalties of up to $19,826 (for individuals) and $99,132 (for businesses) will apply to employers who issue worker permits to employees who do not meet the requirements of the worker permit scheme or who otherwise breach the scheme requirements.

Click here for more information and to download the template > *

You can also download the template directly from our home page >

There will also be on-the-spot fines of up to $1,652 (for individuals) and up to $9,913 (for businesses) for anyone who breaches the scheme requirements. This includes employers, and employees who do not carry their worker permit when travelling to and from work.

* If you are having trouble accessing the Permitted Worker Scheme Template, please contact us and we will email the template to you directly.

WorkPlacePLUS provides support for a range of COVID-19 employment-related issues. Learn more >

Read Compliance Alert: COVID Safe templates >

For more information, please contact us today.

WorkPlacePLUS acknowledges the Wurundjeri Woi Wurrung and Bunurong peoples of the Kulin Nation as the Traditional Owners of the land on which our national office stands. We pay our respect to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures, and to Elders past, present and emerging.

© 2021 WorkPlacePLUS Pty Ltd ABN 48 166 238 786

Training Programs 

HR & IR Support for Employers 

Independent Workplace Investigations